September 19, 2019
Iran will hold its annual military parade on Sept. 22 in the Gulf with 200 frigates and speedboats at a time of soaring tension between Tehran and Washington.
Meanwhile, U.S. President Donald Trump ordered new sanctions on Iran and his secretary of State Mike Pompeo called the attack on Saudi oil facilities “an act of war”.
The semi-official Fars news agency said it would be a joint maneuver with the participation of regular army and elite Revolutionary Guards’ naval forces.
“Over 200 vessels of naval forces of the army, the coast guards and the Revolutionary Guards will take part in the parade,” Fars quoted Admiral Mojtaba Mohammadi as saying.
On Sept. 22 last year, 12 Guards members were among 25 people killed when gunmen fired on a viewing stand as military officials watched a ceremony in the southern city of Ahvaz marking the start of the 1980-88 Iran-Iraq war.
U.S. President Donald Trump ordered a major increase in sanctions on Iran on Wednesday as Saudi Arabia displayed remnants of drones and missiles it said were used in an attack on its oil sites “unquestionably sponsored” by Tehran. Iran again denied involvement in the Sept. 14 raids. He told reporters the sanctions will be announced within 48 hours.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Wednesday there were many options short of war with Iran after U.S. ally Saudi Arabia displayed remnants of drones and missiles it said were used in a crippling attack on its oil sites that was “unquestionably sponsored” by Tehran.
“There are many options. There’s the ultimate option and there are options that are a lot less than that. And we’ll see,” Trump told reporters in Los Angeles. “I’m saying the ultimate option meaning go in — war.”