November 25, 2015
Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hossein Jaber-Ansari said on Wednesday that the terrorist bombing “targeted stability, security and achievements of Tunisia’s popular revolution” and expressed hope that the Tunisian government and people will safeguard the “cause of Tunisia’s revolution” through their solidarity.
The Iranian official also offered the Islamic Republic’s condolences to the North African government and nation over the attack.
At least 12 people were killed and 20 others wounded when a bomb struck a bus carrying Tunisian presidential guards in the capital, Tunis, on Tuesday.
The government described the blast on a three-lined avenue in the heart of Tunis as a terrorist attack.
The blast was likely caused by a bomber detonating explosives inside the vehicle, a presidential source said. No individual or group has claimed responsibility for the bombing.
Following the attack, Tunisia’s President Beji Caid Essebsi declared a 30-day state of emergency across the country and imposed an overnight curfew for the capital.
Speaking on national television, Essebsi said Tunisia is at “war against terrorism” and urged international cooperation against extremists.
The explosion came days after officials increased the security level in the capital and deployed security forces in high numbers.
It was the third major attack in Tunisia this year after a militant killed 38 foreigners at a beach hotel in the resort of Sousse in June, and gunmen killed 21 tourists at the Bardo Museum in Tunis in March. Daesh Takfiri terrorist group claimed responsibility for both attacks.
Tunisia has been plagued by violence since the 2011 uprising that ousted former dictator, Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, who had been in power for over two decades.