September 22, 2018
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo issued on Friday a severe warning to Iran, saying it will be held accountable should American interests come under attack.
“We will not let Iran get away with using a proxy force to attack an American interest; Iran will be held accountable for those incidents,” he told CNN.
“We have told Iran that using a proxy force to attack an American interest will not prevent us from responding against the prime actor,” he continued.
Asked whether he meant militarily, Pompeo replied: “They’re going to be held accountable.”
Moreover, he labeled Iran as the “world as the world’s largest state sponsor of terror” and has been so “for quite some time.”
He cited its support for armed militias, such as the Lebanese “Hezbollah” and Kataeb Hezbollah in Iraq.
“They are also arming the Houthis in Yemen and launching missiles in the Gulf states,” charged Pompeo.
He added that if Iran is “responsible for the arming and training of these militias, we’re gonna go to the source.”
Tensions between Iran and the US have increased over the last year after President Donald Trump withdrew the US from the international nuclear pact that gave Iran sanctions relief in exchange for curbs on its nuclear program.
In the months since, the administration has rolled out a pressure campaign focused on “neutralizing” Iran’s influence in the region and its support for terrorism and militants. Pompeo delivered a speech in May that laid out 12 US demands for Iran to change that many saw as a strategy of regime change in all but name.