February 15, 2020
The United States Mission to the UN in a media note February 13 called on the Security Council to renew international sanctions banning the sale of certain weapons system’s to Iran because of “its program of terrorism, nuclear extortion, and destabilizing behavior”.
The Security Council has less than 36 weeks until the October expiration of the UN arms embargo.
In the media note on the United Nations Yemen Panel of Experts Report the U.S. mission said the Yemen Panel of Experts has established that the Houthis could not have launched the attack on Saudi oil facilities in September 2019, “reinforcing the conclusion of the United States, France, Germany, and the United Kingdom that Iran bears responsibility”.
Iran has vehemently denied having any role in the attack on the Saudi oil giant, Aramco’s installations.
The Iran-aligned Houthis who claimed to have carried out the September 14 attack later said they would stop their attacks if their adversaries attacking Yemen did the same. Since then, Riyadh has stepped up informal discussions with the Houthis on a ceasefire.
The media note released on Thursday said the attack on Saudi oil facilities “was not only against a sovereign state but against the global economy”.
Calling Iran a threat to peace in the region the United States Mission to the UN also said Iran’s “intention to use its short-range missiles is clear” and warned that the intention to use more powerful weapons if the embargo is lifted is a matter of “vital concern for the international community”.
In December in an interview aired by CNBC the United States’ chief diplomat for Iran Brian Hook promised that Washington would continue to strengthen its own military forces, as well as those of Saudi Arabia and other countries, against probable Iranian attacks in the future.