May 6, 2019
Yemeni fishermen have renewed their call on the government, the Arab Coalition, the UN and the international community to protect them from the Iranian vessel “Savez” that has caused the death of 100 Yemeni fishermen and disrupted the livelihoods of 30,000 others.
The military vessel which disguises as a commercial ship supplies the Iran-backed Houthis in Yemen with landmines and naval mines that the militias have planted along Yemen’s western coastline, the fishermen said in a statement, carried by the Saba news agency.
The vessel also supplies Houthis with booby-trapped boats.
The fishermen addressed concerned international organizations, the countries of the Arab Coalition and the legitimate Yemeni government under the leadership of President Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi to look at their circumstances and end their suffering.
They also called on the concerned parties to “force the vessel to leave.”
“We won’t stand by idly against those who prevent us from exercizing our right to live in dignity,” the statement added.
The fishermen also pledged to exert more pressure through protests “until the world reacts” to their suffering.
Houthi leaders continuously threaten navigation in the Red Sea.
High-ranking militia figure Mohammad Ali al-Houthi warned last month that the Houthis would empty around one million oil barrels in the Red Sea.
He claimed in a tweet that the oil stored in the Safer tanker began leaking.
Al-Houthi said the legitimate government and the Arab Coalition should be held responsible for preventing the militia from selling the stored oil.
The Safer tanker is a floating oil storage and offloading facility about eight kilometers off the coast of Ras Isa terminal in the Red Sea.