The deadly poisonous mushroom Amanita phalloides — also known as the “death cap” — is found in Iran, although it’s not known if this was the type that is responsible for the deaths. (AFP)

May 22, 2018

More than 800 people have been poisoned after eating toxic wild mushrooms across western Iran, local media report.

A Health Ministry official said on May 21 that the effects of the fungi had killed 11 people so far, Tasnim news agency reported.

More than 200 people have been hospitalized, the official added, noting that there is no effective treatment for this kind of poisoning.

The deadly fungi look very similar to edible ones, according to Iranian officials.

Tasnim reported that the mushrooms concerned grow wild in mountainous regions of Iran’s west after spring showers.

The BBC said people had been urged to only purchase mushrooms packed and sealed in shops.

BBC/RF

About Track Persia

Track Persia is a Platform run by dedicated analysts who spend much of their time researching the Middle East, in due process we fall upon many indications of growing expansionary ambitions on the part of Iran in the MENA region and the wider Islamic world. These ambitions commonly increase tensions and undermine stability.