October 9, 2019
Two German parliamentarians visited the Saudi oil facilities on Tuesday that were attacked last month by drones and missiles.
In statements posted on Twitter, Nikolas Lobel and Olav Gutting blamed Iran for the attacks.
“Today I visit with @NikolasLoebel #Aramco in #Abqaiq, where drone attack on #KSA took place. The responsibility for this attack is plausibly imputable to Iran directly. Iran’s policy to support terrorist & destabilizing other states is unacceptable!” tweeted Gutting.
On Sept. 14 drone attacks started fires at two Saudi Aramco facilities, one in in Abqaiq and the other in Khurais. The attacks knocked out more than half of Saudi Arabia’s daily oil production and damaged the world’s biggest crude processing plant.
France, Britain and Germany have previously said it was clear that Iran was responsible for the attack on Saudi facilities.
Immediately after the attacks, Saudi Arabia’s military put pieces of missiles and drones on display, saying the parts were proof that the recent attacks were “unquestionably” sponsored by Iran.
The Saudi military spokesman, Col. Turki Al-Maliki, said the strike came from the north — not from Yemen, which is where the Houthi rebels claiming responsibility for the attack are located. Both Iran and Iraq are to the north of Saudi Arabia.
“This attack did not originate from Yemen,” Al-Maliki said, “despite Iran’s best efforts to appear so.” He accused Iran of working with its Houthi allies to generate a “false narrative” around the strike on the two oil facilities.
“Secondly, the attack was launched from the north,” Al-Maliki said, “and was unquestionably sponsored by Iran.”