The photo shows then US Defense Secretary William Perry, center, listening to then Saudi ambassador to the US, Prince Bandar bin Sultan, left, at the blast site on June 29, 1996.  (Getty)

July 24, 2020

The US government has evidence of the involvement of Iranian officials in the 1996 terrorist bombing of the Khobar Towers in Saudi Arabia, where US forces lived, the survivors’ legal representative James Moriarty told Al Arabiya on Thursday.

Earlier this month, a US federal court had ordered Iran to pay $879 million to the survivors of the Khobar bombing which killed 19 US Air Force members and injured more than 400 others.

Moriarty said that the court’s ruling was binding, stressed that Iran was “financially responsible,” and highlighted that “more than 440 Americans are seeking legal action against Iran.”

The lawyer added that Iran was going to pay through the proceeds of seized funds in the US.

“Any Iranian assets around the world will be frozen to pay the compensation… A billion dollar fund of Iran’s seized funds will be created,” Moriarty said.

In 2006, a US federal judge ordered Iran to pay $254 million to the families of 17 of the US service personnel killed in the attack in a judgment entered against the Iranian government, its security ministry, and the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) after they failed to respond to a lawsuit initiated more than four years earlier.

The 209-page ruling had found that the truck bomb involved in the attack was assembled at a base in Lebanon’s Bekaa Valley operated by Hezbollah and the IRGC, and the attack was approved by Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.

Al Arabiya/Reuters

About Track Persia

Track PersiaTrack Persia is a Platform run by dedicated analysts who spend much of their time researching the Middle East, in due process we fall upon many indications of growing expansionary ambitions on the part of Iran in the MENA region and the wider Islamic world. These ambitions commonly increase tensions and undermine stability.